Thursday, January 05, 2006

A letter of support

A letter to the editor in support of Prof. Bosley appeared in Wednesday's Asbury Park Press (1/4/06). It was written by Suzanne D'ambrosio, who was another favorite instructor of mine from my OCC days. Suzanne, who was then the spokesperson for the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Forked River, N.J., taught a course in public relations.

OCC adviser taught well

When I studied journalism at Ocean County College in the early 1980s, the most important lesson my adviser, Karen Bosley, taught me was a journalist's responsibility to uphold and never abuse the First Amendment.

Twenty-some years later, that message has led me through a successful career in journalism and communications. Bosley continues to teach this valuable lesson to all of her journalism students and the college's Viking News reporters.

It is quite disturbing that the leadership of OCC has chosen to remove Bosley from a position she has held and relished for about three decades. In any dispute such as this, there are shades of gray. I can only speak on behalf of my experience on the Viking News. I have seen firsthand Bosley's tireless efforts, her quest for continued improvement and excellence and, mostly, her demand that the newspaper staff adhere to the basic tenets of journalism — truth, accuracy and fairness.

Since my days at OCC, Bosley has become a friend, mentor and colleague. She beams with pride each time she tells me of a victory for the Viking News and its staff, be it one more national award or another story that uncovered an injustice. Her quest to make the Viking News and its staff a serious journalistic force has never wavered.

I cherish my OCC roots. It's where I learned the vital roles professionalism, integrity and honesty play in the field of communications. I just wonder if those values will hold true when the Viking News gets its "makeover."

Suzanne D'Ambrosio
Eagleswood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home